Special to Reflector-
“Swinging on a Star,” a step back in a time to the glamorous days of old Hollywood, will be the theme of the annual fundraiser for the Arts Council of Dickinson County. The program will be at 6 p.m. at the Eisenhower Presidential Library.
“As you arrive, you’ll walk the red carpet, and be hounded by the paparazzi as you view the Hollywood Boulevard Stars for our event sponsors and underwriters,” said Arts Council Director Denise Blehm. “After enjoying an elegant dinner featuring trendy recipes of the 1940s with champagne at the table, you’ll dance the night away with a live big band.”
The “World War II remembered” exhibit in the Eisenhower Presidential Museum will be open for a free tour with 1940s cars on the way.
A full bar (by donation) will be available all evening. If you need to spruce up your dance moves for that era, there will be free dance lessons on Thursday, June 13 from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. at the Eisenhower Presidential Library. The dance lessons provided by Audrey Umbekubo and Mike Walsh are open to anyone attending the event.
“You will also have an opportunity to win a fabulous prize from our pre-event give away,” Blehm said.
Tickets are available now for the following prize packages:
• Prize #1 – Gourmet dinner for eight with choice of French, Italian, Mexican or Chinese cuisine ($400 value, donated by Mike and Gwyn Johnson);
• Prize #2 – Clay project class for up to six people at Bow Studio & Gallery ($180 value, donated by Bob Bow);
• Prize #3 – Violin and piano duo for 1.5 hours of music at your party or event ($350 value, donated by Denise Blehm and Judy Weber);
• Prize #4 – Framed original sunflower painting, photo on Facebook ($250 value, painted and donated by Hope Higgins);
• Prize #5 – Sterling silver ring with a natural gold nugget, photo on Facebook ($64 value, donated by Duane Kalman).
Tickets will be available through June 21. Winners will be announced at the event, but you do not have to be present to win. Tickets suggested prices are 1 for $5, 3 for $10 or $10 for $20. Tickets may be purchased from any Arts Council board member, by filling out and returning the raffle ticket form on the event invitation brochure or by calling the office at 785-263-1884.
ACDC would like to thank our event sponsors, Ameriprise Financial Services, Inc./Lorraine McClain, Ralph and Avis Viola, First Bank Kansas, Patterson Healthcare Pharmacy, RHV Do It Best Hardware and West’s Plaza Country Mart and the numerous individuals and businesses who generously gave underwriter donations, Blehm said.
“Star” tickets are $40 for ACDC members and underwriters and $50 for non-members and can be purchased by calling 785-263-1884. Space is limited. Make your reservations now.
The Arts Council of Dickinson County is a non-profit organization supported by its members and dedicated to promoting the arts among the families in Dickinson County.