The Hope High football team moved its season record to 4-1 with a 52-22 road win against Argonia High squad Friday. AHS also had entered the game anticipating a fourth victory of the year.
However, the Titans were unprepared for the overwhelming offensive attack and tenacious defense the visiting Lions threw at them.
Hope tallied 409 yards in total offense. The team rushed the ball 31 times for 163 yards and quarterback Adam Adkins completed 12 of 18 passes for 246 yards. In percentage terms, the Lions ran the ball 40 percent of the time and took to the air the remaining 60 percent.
Argonia logged 256 yards in total offense 160 yards on 31 rushes and 96 yards on 10 completed passes out of 19 attempts. This means the Titans stayed on the ground with 63% of their plays and chose to go aerial for the remaining 37 per cent.
Adkins led the Hope ground assault with 89 yards on 17 carries. Trevor Hostetter toted the ball 10 times for 74 yards.
Ty Wood paced the Lions' receiving corps with five receptions for 163 yards, including a 65-yard play in the first quarter. Quenton Adkins and Trace Hostetter caught three passes apiece and each tallied 34 yards in receiving.
Dustin Davidson anchored the Hope defense with 21 tackles. A. Adkins added 12 more and Jaryth Barten and Wood were credited with 11 apiece.
Hope Head Coach Jeff Hostetter said he was pleased with his team's balanced play on offense.
The defense also performed well, he said, with the exception of allowing Argonia to score two late-game touchdowns.
The Lions are scheduled to travel to Miltonvale this coming Friday to face the 4-1 Southern Cloud High Warriors. SCHS is coming off a 52-7 shellacking of the White City High Huskies Friday.
The Warriors' only loss of the season was in the second week when St. John's/Tipton Catholic-Beloit earned a decisive 60-14 victory.
Hope (4-1) 14 16 6 16 - 52
Argonia (3-2) 0 6 0 16 - 22
H--A. Adkins 1 run (Trace Hostetter pass from A. Adkins). 6:56
H--Wood 65 pass from A. Adkins (PAT failed). 3:27
A--Newberry 45 run (PAT failed). 5:59
H--A. Adkins 37 run (Wood pass from A. Adkins). 4:44
H--A. Adkins 4 run (Q. Adkins pass from A. Adkins). 1:18
H--Trace Hostetter 57 pass from A. Adkins (PAT failed). Time unavailable.
H--Trevor Hostetter 1 run (Wood pass from A. Adkins). 8:42
A--McDaniel 13 run (McDaniel run). 6:38
H--Trevor Hostetter 13 run (Wood pass from A. Adkins). :36.
A--Wells 11 pass from McDaniel (Newberry run). Time unavailable.