People who live in the rural areas of Dickinson County who plan to shoot off fireworks will need to apply for a fireworks permit, according to County Clerk Barb Jones.

“The permits are free but they must be signed by the county clerk’s office and assigned a number to be valid,” Jones said. “You must be 21 years of age and be the owner or renter of the property to apply for a permit.”

Dickinson County Resolution 032416 states fireworks may be used within the unincorporated area of Dickinson County with the permit.

Fireworks can be discharged between the hours of 8 a.m. and 11:30 p.m. July 1 through July 4.

Permits can be obtained at the county clerk’s office between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays until July 3, at the Herington City office or by going on the home page of the county website at and following the instructions given. Applications may be faxed to the county clerk’s office at 263-2045.

If applicants would like the permit faxed, they must supply a fax number on the form.

July 3 is the deadline to obtain a permit. The courthouse will be closed July 4.

For people who live in towns, each city has its own policy. For information on those, contact the city office.

For questions about the permit, call the county clerk’s office at 263-3774.

Contact Kathy Hageman at

Contact Tim Horan at

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.