Abilene Middle School was evacuated late Wednesday afternoon after contents of a backpack caught fire in a locker in the boys’ locker room.

There were no injuries or damage to the school.

The Abilene Fire Department was called to the scene at 3:20 p.m. and the fire was put out by a volunteer fireman at the scene with a water press extinguisher, according to a spokesperson.

The Abilene Police Department is investigating. The fire is believed to have started by an external battery power pack for a cellular phone that overheated.

Damage was limited to the contents of the personal property inside the locker.

Contact Tim Horan at

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.